Sunday, May 07, 2006

Talk about embarrassing moments....

I had a bit of a flashback to my youth this morning while watching ABC TV's This Week with George Stephanapolis.

I rememeber that when we first moved into our house in Florida, we were paid a visit by the minister of a local evangelical church who was, obviously, trying to recruit our family to his church. My mother, being polite, asked the minister if he would like something to drink (e.g. tea or coffee, or Coca-Cola) but my youngest brother at the time assumed that "drink" meant what my Dad and his Navy friends usually drank...hard liquor...which my brother knew was stored under the kitchen sink. I assume, he wanted to be helpful and friendly too so while my Mother was pouring iced tea into ice-filled glasses, my brother (all of 4 years old at the time) dragged out and proudly presented the preacher with a bottle of Windsor Canadian Whiskey. What followed was one of the most frantic "cover your butt" embarrassed conversations I ever saw my parents partake in.

That's pretty much what happened this morning. Let me give you my take on it.

The subject was the resignation of Porter Goss and it was being discussed by the "roundtable of George Will, an ABC correspondent lady by the last name of Martha Raddatz and Katherine Vanden Huevel....(spelling is optional in this case, right?) Raddatz and Will both gave the standard White House spin, namely that this was a power struggle between Goss and Negroponte, and that Negroponte won the support of Bush. Will made a half-hearted attempt to say that this was a George Bush decision but it was still the same theme with the kicker being that the CIA is a rogue organization and needs to be brought under control.

But then came Katrina......she started out with the "conventional wisdom" and then burst right out and said..."it's about poker games and hotel suites and hookers" and we haven't heard the end of it....Stephanopolous must have peed his pants and hurridly came in with a "whoa, whoa, wait a minute...." Will jumped in by saying there is "absolutely no proof" that Goss was involved with hookers...(actually it's his staff) and Raddatz jumped in to support him and reiterate that it was a "power struggle".

Katrina Vanden Heuvel

Yeah. Right. And my Dad had absolutely no idea where that liquor bottle came from.

It was almost worth suffering through that show today.....almost. The joy of watching the bought-and-paid-for national media get blind-sided by the truth was wonderful.

On edit: I just found a link to DemocraticUnderground where the "surprise" and nervousness of the panel was discussed. Here's the link

e

No comments: