Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Are the wheels coming off?


It seems like every day there is another story about trouble for our troops in either Afghanistan or Iraq.

First there was the story that has been slowly working its way to the surface about Haditha and the alleged massacre there...While that was brewing there was the story about the US Military Convoy in Afghanistan where one of the vehicles had its brakes burn out and ran into a number of civilian cars causing at least one death and almost a score of injuries.....It resulted in a riot where American soldiers ended up firing on the crowd and causing more deaths...The crowds chanted "Death to America".

God only knows how I would react under the stress that our soldiers are placed under every single day so I won't pass judgment on what did or didn't happen over there but I do have that sense that there is something very wrong here.

Several times in my life everything lined up perfectly and pointed me on a path that I was supposed to follow. A chance vacation led to a job that I really wanted and housing suddenly became available when we were told just hours before that there was no housing to be had.

Conversely, there were times when I wanted to do something but there was just one obstacle after another thrown in my way. Sometimes I overcame the obstacles and the trip or event turned out to be a disaster. Other times I succumbed to the obstacles and found that had I taken the trip disaster would have happened. (I planned to charter a plane to Madison but couldn't get ahold of the pilot so I ended up driving to Madison. The NEXT trip that plane took resulted in a fatal accident due to a mechanical failure.)

The point is that sometimes fate tries to tell us something. We have to be sensitive enough to the signs and the "big picture" to understand the signs.

The signs for Bush's endless war are ominous. He should listen to them.

No comments: