Saturday, February 17, 2007

Don't delete that....



If you're like me, you probably get tons and tons of email from various Democratic-based organizations....and they almost always say the same thing:




SEND MONEY




AND AS SOON AS WE SEE IT, WE HIT THE DELETE KEY...




Well, I think what I heard about The Progressive Patriots Fund will change that habit. As you know the founder of the Progressive Patriots Fund is our own Senator Russ Feingold. When he first started it, us cynical, battle-scarred political types all said the same thing: "Neat ploy, Russ. We know it's the basis for your bid for the nomination, but (wink-wink, nod-nod) we'll play along anyway." We actually weren't paying attention to the fact that campaign finance reform being what it is/was, (chuckle...it was CALLED McCain-Feingold, remember?) that kind of money couldn't be used for a Presidential campaign bid.




When Russ actually announced that he would not seek the Democratic nomination, I think I was one of the few fans of Russ Feingold who was actually .... well... relieved. I was never thrilled with the idea of Russ running for, or for that matter, being, President. He has spent his entire life in the legislative branch of government and has almost no Executive Branch experience. That worried me....almost as much as losing one of the best U.S. Senators we have ever seen. But as he dropped out of the race, the question about the use of the Progressive Patriots Fund/foundation came to the surface....




Could it be that he was actually going to use it for what he SAID he was going to use if for? You know...to promote candidates ....progressive candidates ...to public office.




That's exactly what they did.....




The Progressive Patriots Fund selected 20 candidates for congress in 2006. They provided them with $5,000 cash and, most importantly with a trained staff person to help run their campaign....




Out of the twenty....12 are now members of Congress....




12....




Just remind me now.....just exactly how big is the Democratic Majority in the House of Representatives?......




If I remember it's 31.....and 12 or the 31 are because of Russ's efforts.....




He's building a grass roots organization and tackling the Republican stranglehold on Congress one district at a time......




Want to go one better?




We're a year in advance of the next campaign and the Progressive Patriot's fund is already "on the streets" meeting with locals and planning for next year.....(I've been preaching this kind of long-term activism for years but this is beyond my wildest expectations.)




I don't think I'm going to hit the "delete" key next time I get one of those emails.....








No comments: