Thursday, April 06, 2006

Knee-deep, knee-deep

No that's not a frog call, that's where I am after only 48 hours after the election.

The phone has been ringing off the hook and I think I'm going to be knee-deep in issues for a long, long time.

....people are STARVING for leadership

...people are STARVING for just one person in government who will even LISTEN to them.

I suspected these things but I never knew I was actually right....

Oh yes, one more thing. I got an object lesson yesterday in why I ran for public office the first time. I'll bore you with the details:

I had to pick up a prescription at a local drug store. Being the organized (not) person I am at times, I didn't call it in ahead of time so I had to wait. While I was waiting, there was an elderly woman at the counter who was very troubled about the cost of her perscriptions. I won't say how much, but I will say that the amount was much more than my monthly mortgage payment.

Her Medicare Part D wouldn't pay for it and the pharmacist's assistant had to explain that she had reached her "donut hole" in the part D Contract....that's the part of the Prescription drug program that goes from $2250 to $3500 where Part D pays NONE of the prescription drug costs until after the $3500 and then it pays 100%. In the meantime this elderly lady had to pay a huge amount of money. She kept asking if she should call her health insurance carrier and the pharmacist said she could but it wouldn't do any good because by law no carrier can "fill" the donut hole.

I don't know the elderly woman. Maybe she's better off than any of us and can afford the big bucks for her perscription, or, maybe she can't. Maybe she'll have to go to the food pantry for the rest of the month. I don't know.

I just know what was happening to her was wrong.

We've got to fix it.

You and me.

Together.

e

No comments: