Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I think I would have done it differently

I'm watching the news rports on the violence in Lebanon and Israel with a sense of disbelief.

Disbelief because I understand that the real troublemakers in this fight are the Hizbollah, not the Lebanese people. I know that the Lebanese government is weak and tenative and holding onto power by a literal thread and that they can neither defeat nor curtail the activities of Hizbollah with their borders. I also know that Syria and Iran support Hizbollah financially as well as politically. The Lebanese government is no match for that kind of power.

So why is Israel bombing Lebanese civilians?

Why is Israel bombing and destroying the Lebanese army? ...the very same army that they should be SUPPORTING in order to help rid Lebanon of Hizbollah?

Why is Israel destroying the Lebanese infrastructure?

I don't understand......I simply do not understand.

I would have worked to STRENGTHEN the Lebanese government. I would have built trust and goodwill among the populace to counter Hizbollah propaganda and hate. I would have aided and assisted the Lebanese government in rooting out Hizbollah.

but then again, that's just me.

1 comment:

Ed said...

This morning I couldn't believe my ears...the US was "stonewalling" an agreement on a ceasefire and using some euphenisms like "enduring peace" as cover. In reality, the Bush administration is using Israel to kill off Hizbollah whom they blame for most of the violence...even though Hizbollah enjoys widespread support in other Arab countries.

I'm pissed.

e