Thursday, February 07, 2008

Help Needed!



I don't normally do this but I think Digby and Monkeyfister are quite an inspiration and I will rise to their request for a "blogswarm" because the cause is true, just and non-controversial.

I don't know how many noticed that during the excitment of Super Tuesday there were many severe storms hitting the southcentral and southeastern part of the country. In fact, it was the worst tornado outbreak since 1981 and historical in the fact that it was the only recorded tornado outbreak of that severity in the month of February....EVER! (Global climate change anyone?)

The extent of damage and human suffering resulting from this outbreak is just now sinking in to our bone-headed national media but Digby and Monkeyfister are trying to do something about it....let me quote Monkeyfister:

As Scout Prime is to NOLA, I am, suddenly, to the Mid-South area (I LIVE here, and was Live-Blogging these horrible storms all night), and have started to get the help-ball rolling down here. Some of you know where I work. I started a Food Drive there today for the Mid-South United Way Food Bank.As the area affected is so broad and detached, and everyone in the Country was distracted by politics last night, as yet, there is no central assistance hub set-up. So, at the link, above, you'll find the two agencies with the broadest radius to help the area right now. Both take DIRECT donations.

.".... I can't describe how wide-spread the damage is down here. It's enormous. The Media, per usual, is only just now waking up to the situation, after their Super-Duper-Let's-All-Wet-Our-Pants-Together- Tuesday Political Hangover. Like NOLA, these are REALLY poor folks down here, and have nothing, and nowhere to go."


And here are the links she talked about:

Right now, I recommend the:American Red CrossMid-South Chapter1400 Central AvenueMemphis, TN 38104901-726-1690

And:United Way of the Mid-South phone in a donation at (901) 433-4300.

If you have anything to spare, please do what you can.

It's only because I am a "weather geek" that I have seen the devastation from these storms on the Weather Channel. There is video at the link that will break your heart.

UPDATE: Since Monkeyfist's original post, the death toll has risen to 55. Damn...even with the sophisticated warning systems in place .....damn....

No comments: